[This post is sponsored by Southern Breeze Sweet Tea. All thoughts, opinions, and photographs are my own. Thanks to the brands who continue to support The Secret Ingredient Is.]
Summer means it’s time to take our BLTs to the next level!
Next level = we turn it into a pasta salad, toss it with a delicious avocado dressing, serve it with some guilt-free sweet tea, and take it to all our picnics and parties.
That’s what these next few months are all about, isn’t it?
Combining favorite foods (BLT + pasta + avocado) and calling it a meal. Or a side dish! But I won’t lie to you, I ate this as a meal.
Whispers – there is bacon involved, of course I ate it as a meal!
Every summer I randomly get on a big BLT kick, and it started earlier than normal this year. I think it’s because the tomatoes are growing again (maybe not quite this second — but soon!), and it actually tastes GOOD. I’ve had plenty of mediocre BLT’s and I’m convinced it all has to do with the T just tasting soggy and wet. The worst!
But now that we’ve officially made it to summer, we don’t have to worry as much. Plus, we’re turning it into a pasta salad, so we’ve got a little wiggle room because we’re using grape/cherry tomatoes and those are a little easier to find.
Not to mention – avocado dressing! It makes everything better, and is the perfect sauce to build a summery dish around.
Good tomatoes, crispy bacon, creamy avocado noodles, and some greens (health!) – we’ve established all the reasons why it’s a fun and extremely easy dish to make this summer.
But we need something else to wash it down! Last year I partnered with Southern Breeze Sweet Tea, and I’m excited to be teaming up with them again during #NationalIcedTeaMonth to create this recipe pairing.
I typically don’t drink much during the day other than water and a cup of coffee, but I constantly crave something sweet and refreshing every afternoon – especially now that it’s hot, hot, hot out! So I really love that Southern Breeze’s Sweet Tea is guilt free.
They use 100% real tea leaves, and put the sweetener in the tea bag – so there is no added sugar. AND, it’s zero calories. Yep. So we can enjoy the sweet refreshing flavor without having to secretly count anything.
I made a big pitcher of Southern Breeze Sweet Tea earlier this week and have been pouring a glass every day at lunch (legit, without any added guilt — so there is more room for BLT pasta salad!) and I honestly mean it when I say it’s so refreshing.
The perfect drink to wash down a BLT pasta salad during the hot summer months. Bring on the heat!
- 8 ounces pasta noodle (farfalle, penne, macaroni, etc)
- 8-10 slices cooked bacon
- 1½ cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- Salt and pepper
- ½ avocado
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ jalapeno, diced
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and pulse together until smooth. If the dressing is on the thicker side, drizzle in a little more lemon juice or olive oil. Taste and adjusting seasoning if desired. Store in a jar up to 1-2 days.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Once cooked, drain and rinse pasta under color water to stop the cooking process, and add it to a large serving bowl. Toss with some of the avocado dressing, use up as much (or little) as you'd like! Top with lettuce, tomato, crumbled bacon, and season with a little salt and pepper. Toss well, and if desired, stir in a little more dressing.