Summer plans include:
All the strawberry mint moscow mules.
As many trips to the pool as possible.
So much ice cream. So much.
Taking full advantage of our porch for weeknight dinners and weekend brunches. (Side note: there is a little bird’s nest in our (dead) fern (so we can’t get rid of the fern because that would just be wrong) and he sings to us all day long! I’m going to try to whistle the song from Hunger Games and see if he can pick it up…) Also, I just overused like 5 unnecessary parentheses.
Firing up the grill for any and every excuse I can! Like for this salad. Even if you technically could cook the chicken indoors – the grill makes everything better. Everything.
Hmm, except I’m still slightly terrified of the actual “firing” of the grill, so I plan on someone else actually doing that part and I’ll handle the rest.
Hi guys! How was your weekend? I might say this with each passing week, but I honestly can’t get over the fact that we’re already at the end of May! 2016 is FLYING by quickly and it’s hard to believe that we’ve almost reached the (unofficial) kickoff off summer.
Are your Memorial Day Weekend plans all set or are you just going to wing it and throw a last-minute backyard potluck with friends?
Either way – let’s start planning out the menu! And then even if you end up sitting on your porch solo, listening to the birds chirp, you’ll be fully equipped with cocktails, party salads, grilled chicken, and dessert! Sounds kind of glorious doesn’t it?
This grilled chicken and cucumber apple salad is crazy good and super easy to throw together! It’s crisp, flavorful, refreshing, healthy, gives you an excuse to sit outside and grill, and tastes like all things summer! But you were expecting that weren’t you?
Lately I’ve been loving this for lunch because I’ll grill lots of chicken and can eat it a few days at a time, but it’s also a perfect side salad to serve at dinner too. Something different to start off summer 2016!
I’m thinking a bottle(s) of rosé would pair well with this, right?
- 1 pound chicken thighs (your choice on whether you want skin-on or not!)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ of a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 apple, sliced or chopped (I used a Mcintosh apple!)
- 1 small Fresno chili, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leave, chopped
- 3 tablespoons roasted, unsalted sliced almonds
- Salt and pepper
- Heat your grill to high.
- Wrap the chicken in plastic wrap and use a meat tenderizer (or whatever type of kitchen tool you have) and pound the chicken until it's about ½ inch think. Rub a tablespoon of olive oil onto the chicken, and season with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken until both sides are golden brown, slightly crispy and cooked through (about 5-6 minutes each side), then transfer the chicken to a plate and let cool, then slice into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine the red wine vinegar, minced shallot and garlic, and a little salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the remaining olive oil until well blended. Add the sliced cucumber, onion and chili to the bowl and toss well to coat.
- Arrange the cucumber salad onto a large plate or in a bowl, add in the chicken, and sliced apple. Drizzle any leftover oil and vinegar from the bowl onto the salad! Garnish with the sliced almonds and basil.