Also known as: a side dish I could eat every single night in summer.
Seriously, I could!
The texture, the taste, the concept of eating it right off the cob – I love it all.
I’m not sure if my corn obsession – and it’s definitely an obsession – is because I grew up in the midwest surrounded by fields of corn (quite literally when I went away to college), or if it’s in part because I’m such a texture freak!
And corn, well it’s got that texture thing going on.
I don’t even care if I have to floss immediately after I eat it. We all make sacrifices for the things we love, mine just happens to be corn.
In the last couple of years, I’ve especially fallen in love with elote (Mexican street corn!) – and when I went to Austin back in June, I ate my weight in it. #weddingdiet, right?
We were back in Ohio this past weekend for a friend’s wedding and on the drive I couldn’t help but notice the fields and fields of corn, and it got me somewhat nostalgic for an old midwestern summer as a kid.
Biking around all day to meet up with friends, swimming, running barefoot through the backyard, getting called in to help get dinner ready (and maybe shuck some corn!), to only run back outside for a few more hours until the fireflies light up the sky.
So between the nostalgia, the love for elote, the fact that summer is sprinting by at a frightening speed, I decided it was time to do something fun!
I think jalapeño cilantro lime butter is something fun, yeah? Keep telling yourself that one, Michelle.
Grill up some corn, smother the most delicious butter onto the warm corn, and sprinkle it with lots of love – cheese, chili powder, more jalapeño and cilantro, and a little bit of lime.
And then serve it up as a side dish every single night!
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
- 1½ jalapeño, (1/2 of it diced, the other 1 sliced thinly)
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4-6 ears of corn
- 2 ounces queso fresco, finely grated
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- Heat grill to high and grill corn.
- In a small bowl stir together the butter, ½ of the jalapeno (dice it up really small first!), juice and zest of ½ of the lime, and a little bit of cilantro.
- Spread the butter mixture all over the corn, then sprinkle with cheese, the thinly sliced jalapeño, and the rest of the cilantro. Season with chili powder, salt and pepper, and a squeeze of lime juice!