New favorite breakfast alert!
I want every day this week to start this way. Can we make that happen?
We’ve been making this sweet potato hash a ton recently. Weekend mornings when we’re starting slow, drinking a cup of coffee, catching up on shows (that sounded more like a rhyme than I was intending).
And even for dinner a couple of times, because breakfast for dinner is always acceptable.
So I figured it was probably time to share this gem. We don’t keep secrets from each other.
Let’s chat weekend festivities! Did you paint the town green and celebrate St. Patrick’s Day early? You probably needed this to soak up some of the hangover if so.
What about the snow? So so bizarre. We woke up yesterday to it snowing, and within a few hours the sun was shining and there wasn’t a trace of it anywhere. Mother nature is a weird beast.
It did encourage us to have a cozy morning in. I’m all about a productive Sunday morning, but taking time to make a good breakfast and lie low (watching Pearl Harbor, obvi) is equally as amazing.
And now back to Monday we go.
A few things about this bowl of deliciousness!
Meal prep idea? I vote yes! You could easily make all the veggies and bacon ahead of time (and skip the oven part), and each morning throw a fresh egg on the skillet to top it off. Then we COULD make that happen each day this week. Or again, this makes a great brinner!
It’s so filling – in that hearty veggie kind of filling way. You know the one I’m talking about? It’s essentially like home fries or breakfast potatoes – but the sweet potatoes give it that extra oomph of flavor that really makes it.
All of my favorite savory breakfast flavors in one place – the perfectly cooked egg, fresh avocado, a little (lot) of bacon, some jalapeno! Throw it all on top of some well-seasoned sweet potatoes, serve it next to a big stack of pancakes (whattt?!?).
We’re ready to take on the world.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced or diced
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add olive oil to a cast iron skillet (or heavy skillet) over medium heat. Add onion and saute for a few minutes, then add the minced garlic and sweet potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and let the potatoes cook about 5 minutes, until they start to brown. Then add the jalapeno and bell pepper to the skillet and let cook another few minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.
- Stir in the cooked crumbled bacon. Then use a spatula to create wells in the middle of the potato mixture, and break an egg into each well. Season with salt and pepper, then place the skillet in the oven and cook 7-10 minutes (time will vary depending on how cooked you like your eggs!).
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Topped with cilantro and avocado and serve immediately!