Hey, hi! How was the weekend?
Did everyone have a good one? I hope so! A well-deserved spring weekend for all.
If I had to take a wild guess, I’d say some of us ate a few too many jelly beans/Reese’s eggs/second helping of brunch or dessert?
::Raises hand:: Same.
I spent the weekend with my parents, who firmly believe I am never too old for an Easter basket –and they filled it with some of my favorite candy from home. It was glorious.
(I agree – you’re never too old for a candy basket!)
Like anticipated, I’m moving a little slower today. I knew this past weekend was going to “get off track” a bit – I mean hello, we did our wedding dessert tasting at 9 am Friday morning! And the bakery brought out hugeeee trays of sweets for us to try (and obviously, we had to have a bite of each).
But I believe in balance, and that we have to let ourselves enjoy and indulge – because life would freaking suck otherwise – so my plan is to get back on track today…and treat myself to a piece of candy each night if I so desire to.
Starting with these sweet potato quinoa burgers! The recipe for these burgers came together unexpectedly the first time around. We had a couple of sweet potatoes that were looking a little weak, and the fridge was overflowing with tupperware containers of quinoa. So I threw them into a bowl with a few other ingredients, cooked them up, and realized I needed to make them again!
There is a simplicity about these quinoa burgers that I especially love. For this particular batch I used a basmati brown & red quinoa blend that was already cooked, but use what you have.
You’ll likely have the majority of the ingredients in the pantry or fridge already, and they’re completely versatile too. Have some spinach, kale, bell peppers that needs to be used up? Chop it up & throw it in the bowl!
Pack those burgers with all the good hearty stuff.
If you form the patties on the smaller side, this recipe makes a good number of burgers. I prefer to eat it bunless, because the sweet potato & quinoa already make them pretty filling – and a big batch like this is perfect for a week-long make ahead lunch or dinner option.
So we’re starting the week off with a healthy, hearty, use what you have, make-ahead for the week, meatless recipe! We’re checking off all the boxes.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled
- 2-3 cooked sweet potatoes (depending on size, you may be able to just use 2!)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1-2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs (basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, etc!)
- Salt and pepper
- Crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add the cooled quinoa to a large mixing bowl. Scoop the inside of the cooled sweet potatoes into the bowl with the quinoa. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, breadcrumbs, one egg, chopped herbs, salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes to the bowl.
- Using a spatula (or your hands!), stir the mixture together until well combined. If the mixture seems on the drier side, add another egg to the bowl. If the mixture seems too wet - then add another tablespoon or two of breadcrumbs! Adjust seasoning, adding a little more salt and pepper if desired.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Form the mixture into small patties, and cook a few patties at a time, for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- If desired, serve over a bed of fresh greens with red onion slices & avocado slices!