Ah Friday, I’m glad we made it here. You look good. You look almost as good as this delicious homemade peanut dressing.
Grocery shopping for two is fun when the +1 you shop for is not picky. Every week we have the same conversation – what do you want? Every week, 3 things always on his list:
Bananas, Avocados, Chicken.
Oh boy does he love his chicken. Which is good for me, since I don’t like to eat a ton of red meat. But being the easy-going, I’ll eat anything you put in front of me, type guy he is, he could eat chicken the same way every week.
And I’m like, let’s ramp this poultry up. Let’s do something with it. Let’s Emeril Lagasse this and bam, kick it up a notch! Ok, getting carried away.
But really though, if we’re going to eat chicken, we’re going to make that chicken as many ways as possible. Like this.
Having most of the ingredients already in my kitchen, and knowing I can reuse the rest for other dishes, I knew this would be a good week night investment.
It’s a really easy and equally delicious dish. Veggie chopping takes a bit of time, so I recommend some good tunes, a chopping partner, or watching Sons of Anarchy (and closing your eyes on the gory parts).
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2-3 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 chicken breast, shredded
- 1½ cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 (large) or 4 (baby) carrot, shredded
- ½ orange bell pepper, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- ⅓ cup peanuts, chopped
- Avocado, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chop the chicken and cook on the stove over medium-high heat for 8 minutes. Once cooked, shred in a mixer or blender (or by knife) and set aside.
- To make the dressing, add all the ingredients and whisk together. Word to the wise, if you like spicier food, I would add a fair amount of red pepper flakes. Set aside in refrigerator while preparing the rest of the salad.
- Combine the chopped vegetables with the chicken and peanuts, salt and pepper to taste. Toss with salad dressing, top with avocado.