Oh man has this week been a complete, unexpected blur. It’s rare that being sick knocks me out, but I was knocked out HARD the last couple of days.
So hard that even thinking about writing this post put be back to bed. So we’re keeping this one short! Wings need no explanation especially when the Super Bowl is a few short days away.
This is going to sound quite crazy, but when we were in Kauai (ahhh Hawaii bliss!) we found an amazing happy hour spot that had the BEST crispy buffalo chicken wings ever. We would order those and tuna poke and cheap beers and were happy as could be. We were especially hooked on the wings – beyond hooked actually. And when you’re hooked on something like wings, you know it has to be good right?
Obviously, I immediately needed to find out how to perfect the crispy wings at home. And I think I found the trick! Tossing them in spices and baking powder and cooking them without the sauce for a bit makes a huge difference. It’s definitely not a step to skip anymore – and this will be the only way I’ll cook my wings from now on!
Wings are 100% on the menu for the Super Bowl, and here are a few other snacks and apps I’m getting some inspiration from too. Can’t wait to see all the food — I mean all the football — on Sunday!
- 3 pounds chicken wings (both flats and drumettes)
- 1½ tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika (use less if you don't want as spicy)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup hot sauce (I used Frank's)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lin a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a heat-proof wire rack on the baking sheet.
- Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels, squeeze out as much of the excess moisture as you can, then transfer them to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the baking powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the mixture over the wings, and toss well to evenly coat.
- Arrange the wings on the rack/baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Then remove from the oven and toss the wings with half the buffalo sauce, and arrange the wings back on the wire rack. Bake an additional 25-30 minutes, until wings are crispy and golden brown. Toss the wings with the remaining buffalo sauce and serve immediately!