I don’t think I’ll ever get too old for tomato soup and grilled cheese.
It’s a combo that is undeniably good, incredibly comforting, and so easy to make.
While I’ll admit that I still occasionally reach for a box or can of Campbell’s tomato soup in a pinch, it’s even better homemade. This easy version is taken up a bit more because we’ve roasted the tomatoes before turning it into soup! Honestly roasting them adds so much flavor, it’s a complete game changer.
Plus, grilled cheese croutons! Because you know you’re going to dip that grilled cheese into the soup, so why not make it easier and turn them into croutons? Next level stuff right there.
It’s not unusual for me to want soup all the time in fall, but lately I’ve been craving it a lot more than normal. (So hopefully you don’t mind that!) I think it’s a combination of the simple comfort soup brings, how easy it is to make for a few days, and that I can make a healthy soup and trash it up with something delicious like grilled cheese croutons.
Facts are facts.
I’m a believer that a lot of soups taste even better the second day! Can anyone explain why? Ok, I’ll try to. I’m going with the scientific reason that the flavors have more time to develop together! Science.
This Roasted Tomato Soup is no exception to that second-day punch of flavor! Or maybe I’ve just convinced myself of that because it means a second day of grilled cheese croutons?
- 3 pounds roma tomatoes, stems removed and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or oregano
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk or heavy cream (something to thicken it up a little bit!)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pieces of bread
- 3 ounces grated/shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange sliced tomatoes on a large baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over top, and season with salt and pepper. Roast tomatoes in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are cooling, add a little bit of olive oil to a soup pot over medium heat. Saute onions for a 2-3 minutes, then stir in the garlic and heat for an additional minute.
- After the tomatoes have cooled, add them to a food processor and puree until smooth (if you have an immersion blender you can also add the tomatoes to the soup pot and puree them in there!) Add the onions, garlic, and herbs to the food processor and pulse a few more times. Transfer the soup back into the pot and let simmer over low heat. Stir in the broth, parmesan cheese, and season with additional salt and pepper. Stir in the coconut milk.
- While the soup is simmering, heat a small skillet over medium heat. Spread the butter onto one side of each slice of bread, sprinkle the cheese in the middle. Cook the grilled cheese (butter side down) in the pan until both sides are toasted and the cheese has melted. Slice into 1-inch cubes. Spoon soup into bowls and top with grilled cheese croutons!